Right now, there are over 400 million paid subscribers to music streaming services. What’s crazy about this stat is that I haven’t included Youtube since it’s hard to figure out how many people use it specifically to listen to stream music.
Note: I wanted to give a little background about myself as I feel like I have some great experience when it comes to streaming. I played in a major label band, Vinyl Theatre from 2013-2019 and we amassed over 40 million streams ourselves specifically on Spotify. I’m a stats guy and I was curious as to just how many people stream music.
While there are a ton of paid subscribers, there are also millions of users on each platform that don’t pay a subscription fee and just use the service for free.
When looking at the total number of users on streaming services we get to the number of 1 billion, 364 thousand active users on streaming platforms still excluding Youtube.
Keep in mind, I’m not taking into account every streaming platform, just the main ones. Here’s a list of the platforms I have taken data from:
- Spotify – 271 million total (124 million paid) – Resource
- NetEase(China) – 800 million total (139 million paid) Resource
- Pandora – 81 million total
- Iheart Radio – 120 million total
- Sirius XM – 32.6 million total – Resource
- Apple Music – 60 million total – Resource
Table of Contents
- 1 Most Impactful Statistics From The Infographic Above
- 2 Spotify Streaming In 2020
- 2.1 Most Streamed Artists Golbally 2020
- 2.2 Most Streamed Female Artists Globally
- 2.3 Most Streamed Albums On Spotify 2020
- 2.4 Most Streamed Songs Globally 2020 Spotify
- 2.5 There were 1.15 trillion music streams in 2019
- 2.6 The Top 5 Streamed Artists In 2019 Were Post Malone, Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, & Bad Bunny
- 2.7 Apple Music Has The Most Subscribers In The United States
- 2.8 The United States Currently has 61.1 Million Paid Subscribers
- 2.9 The Average Spotify Consumer Listens To Music For 148 Minutes Per Day.
- 2.10 Over 20,000 New Songs Are Added Daily To Spotify
- 2.11 Spotify Was Valued At 29.5 Billion Dollars In 2019
- 2.12 The Most Popular Genre Streamed Is By Far Hip Hop/R&B
- 2.13 EDM Is No Longer In The Top 5 For Streamed Genres
- 2.14 Latin Music Now Accounts For 8.2% Of Music Streamed
- 2.15 The Most Popular Streaming Service In The World Is NetEase
- 3 Jazz Music Is Currently The Lowest Streamed Music
Most Impactful Statistics From The Infographic Above
Below are some of the most interesting stats from the infographic.
Music streaming now accounts for 80% of the music market
This is such a crazy thought to me. Music streaming has surpassed digital downloads and all physical products. This is according to the RIAA & this really is similar to the movie streaming services.
Spotify Streaming In 2020
Here is a top 5 list of the most streamed artists globally in 2020.
Most Streamed Artists Golbally 2020
- Bad Bunny – 8.3 billion streams
- J Balvin
- Juice Wrld
- The Weeknd
As you can see, hip hop completely dominated the music scene in 2020, which was of no surprise.
Most Streamed Female Artists Globally
- Billie Eilish
- Taylor Swift
- Ariana Grande
- Dua Lipa
These five women absolutely tore it up in 2020 in terms of streams. We recently did a roundup in which we compiled the best women keyboardists of all time. This article features some incredible women who can absolutely slam on the piano.
Most Streamed Albums On Spotify 2020
Here are the most streamed albums on Spotify in 2020.
- YHLQMDLG – Bad Bunny
- After Hours – The Weeknd
- Hollywood’s Bleeding – Post Malone
- Fine Line – Harry Styles
- Future Nostalgia – Dua Lipa
Most Streamed Songs Globally 2020 Spotify
- Blinding Lights – The Weeknd (1.6 billion streams)
- Dance Monkey – Tones And I
- The Box – Roddy Ricch
- Roses – Imanbek Remix
- Don’t Start Now – Dua Lipa
There were 1.15 trillion music streams in 2019
This is a completely staggering number as it was at 887 million the year prior. In 2020, the numbers are expected to keep rising as well.
The Top 5 Streamed Artists In 2019 Were Post Malone, Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, & Bad Bunny
According to Spotify, these are the most streamed artists in 2019. This should come to surprise absolutely nobody as all of these artists are massive.
What we should note here is that this is extremely telling about where the general public is as far as music genres. Most of the artists fall into the hip-hop/ pop genre, which are the two dominating genres.
Apple Music Has The Most Subscribers In The United States
The latest reports have Apple Music with 28 million music subscribers in the United States and 26 million music subscribers to Spotify. This report is according to USA Today and it’s pretty surprising to me.
I personally thought that Spotify dominated every other streaming service in the country, but I was wrong.
The United States Currently has 61.1 Million Paid Subscribers
There are 61.1 million subscribers to music streaming services. According to statista.com, there were 46.9 million paid subscribers in 2018.
That means, in just one year the number had jumped up an additional 14 million subscribers. The number is continuing to increase exponentially as well.
Out of the 61.1 million subscribers, Spotify & Apple Music combine for over 54 million of the subscribers. This number is overwhelming and it really shows just how popular those two music platforms are in the US today.
The Average Spotify Consumer Listens To Music For 148 Minutes Per Day.
This statistic is absolutely insane to me. The average music streamer streams music for over 2 hours every single day. It is clear that the consumer satisfaction level is high as this in an absurd amount of time.
Over 20,000 New Songs Are Added Daily To Spotify
It is very easy for artists to add their own songs to the ever-popular platform. One thing that a lot of these artists don’t understand is that there should be a plan behind releasing their music.
In order to get into the Spotify algorithm, you will want to get added into playlists and you will also want a high download rate.
Spotify Was Valued At 29.5 Billion Dollars In 2019
This number is growing at an alarming rate and doesn’t show signs of slowing down anytime soon.
The Most Popular Genre Streamed Is By Far Hip Hop/R&B
According to Statista.com, Hip Hop/R&B accounted for 30.7 percent of all streams across platforms.
EDM Is No Longer In The Top 5 For Streamed Genres
According to Statista.com, EDM came in 6’th place for streaming last year and it is still slowing down.
Here’s a list of the genres in order:
- Hip Hop/R&B 30.7%
- Rock 14.7%
- Pop 14.7%
- Latin 8.2%
- Country 5.9%
- EDM 5.2%
Latin Music Now Accounts For 8.2% Of Music Streamed
What important to note here is that this number is rapidly growing every year.
The Most Popular Streaming Service In The World Is NetEase
The China-based streaming platform has over 800 million active users on its platform.
Jazz Music Is Currently The Lowest Streamed Music
Just .08% of all musical streams are Jazz. I was a little bit surprised by this number. I knew it was going to be low but didn’t realize it would be less than one percent.